The goal of ACHS is to find loving, forever homes for every animal in our facility. We will work with you to find the right match for each animal and your family.
* Complete an adoption application. * Be a Wisconsin resident and age 21 years or older. * Have proper identification that has your photo and lists your date of birth. * Current pets must be up to date on rabies and distemper vaccinations. * ACHS will check with landlords or parents for approval if either applies to you.
Follow These Steps to Adopt
1. Talk about adopting a new pet with all members of your household to confirm that everyone is on board.
2. If you rent talk to your landlord to make sure you understand their pet policies. We will call them to verify before you can adopt.
3. Preview adoptable animals on our website. Prepare questions to ask about the animals you want to meet. Call us at 608-339-6700 to schedule a time to meet with the animals you are interested in.
4. Complete and submit an adoption application online.
- THE ADOPTION PROCESS -
> Once your application is received our Adoption Team thoroughly reviews the information you provided.
> Our goal is to process applications as quickly as possible. The time it takes depends on the number of applications we are working on. Our Adoption Team does research on all aspects of the information you provided, including background checks and contacting veterinarians, references and landlords.
> The Adoption Team chooses the family we believe is the best fit for each animal. We do not simply pick the first application received.
> If your application is approved, our Adoption Team will contact you to schedule an appointment to meet pets and choose who to adopt.
> There are numerous reasons why an application is denied. This is based on the information you provide and if we believe the animal is a good fit for your home. It is the policy of the Adoption Team to not provide the reason for a denial.
Many companion animals come through our shelter's door every year.
Each one receives shelter, comfort and care, is spayed or neutered, microchipped, vaccinated, and has any additional medical issues treated.
We rely on adoption fees to help cover these costs to prepare each animal to join your family as a happy, healthy member.
+ All animals are spayed or neutered and microchipped.
+ Dogs are current on their rabies vaccination (if older than 4 months), Distemper, and Bordetella vaccinations. They have been de-wormed and receive flea & tick preventative, have been tested for heartworm (if older than 6 months), and are on heartworm preventative.
Dogs 1 year and younger are $350.00. Dogs 1 - 8 years are $250.00. Senior dogs over 9 years are $150.00
+ Cats are current on their rabies vaccination (if older than 4 months) and distemper vaccination, are de-wormed, and receive flea and tick preventative.
Cats up to 1 year are $75.00. Cats 1 - 8 years are $50.00. Senior kitties over 9 years are $25.00.
+ Animals that are bonded are adoptable together at a reduced fee. We believe it is important it is to keep them together in the same home. + A reduced fee is offered when adopting more than one animal.
+ We offer reduced or no fee for animals that are adoptable but have a medical condition.