|ADAMS COUNTY HUMANE SOCIETY
Placing animals in loving forever homes
|WINTER SAFETY TIPS FOR YOUR PET
WINTER IS A TIME WE SHOULD PAY CLOSE ATTENTION TO THE SAFETY OF OUR PETS.
HERE ARE SOME SAFETY TIPS TO FOLLOW.
1) Ingesting anti-freeze can be fatal for our dog or cat. It has a sweet taste and even a tiny amount can cause
severe kidney damage and even death.
If you spill some, soak it up immediately ( clay kitty litter works well. ) Discard the litter once anti-freeze has
2) Pets that live outdoors should be fed a bit more food in the winter because they need extra calories to
keep warm. They should have fresh water put out a couple of times a day, or consider a special bowl that
prevents water from freezing.
They should also have a place to go into that is sheltered from the weather.
3) When walking your dog, check the paws to make sure that ice or snow isn't building up between the toes
and salt from the road isn't irritating the skin.
4) Before you start your vehicle, honk your horn or bang on the hood to make sure a cat hasn't decided to
take a nap in a warm spot under the hood of the vehicle.
6) Make sure your pet wears ID tags so if lost they can be returned home.
While holidays can bring us much celebration and joy, they can also offer some potential hazards to
1) If decorating for the holidays, keep ornaments out of reach of your pets. Also remember that holly,
mistletoe and other plants can cause your pet to become extremely ill or even die if ingested.
2)Tinsel when ingested by a dog or cat, may cause an obstruction of the intestines, and the tinsel's sharp
edges can even cut the intestines. Treatment usually requires surgery.
3) Christmas lights and electrical cords can be fatal if chewed on by a pet. Whenever possible, keep electrical
cords out of reach.
4) Chocolate contains two elements which are toxic to dogs and cats, called Theobromine, and caffeine, even
an ounce or two of chocolate can be lethal to a small dog ( 10 lbs or less) Larger quantities of chocolate can
poison or even kill a medium or large dog. Dark and unsweetened baking chocolates are especially
dangerous. Symptoms of chocolate poisoning include : Vomiting, diarrhea, tremors, hyperactivity and seizures.
6) Yeast dough, coffee ( caffeine ) onion powder, salt, chocolate and alcoholic beverages can cause health
problems for cats & dogs. Lillies can cause kidney failure for a cat.
7) Cats are often exposed to Liquid Potpourries by direct ingestion from simmer pots, spills or by rubbing
against leaky bottles.
Oral exposures result following grooming. Exposure of cats to some types of liquid potpourries can result in
severe oral, dermal and ocular damage.
Note: Veterinary treatment should be immediate if poisoning is suspected.